Justin Jefferson gets PAID

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/402 ... -140m-deal

Wow, if that's not a cap crippling deal I don't know what is...
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:10 am https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/402 ... -140m-deal

Every WR that gets paid, makes me appreciate the Odunze pick more and more.
LacertineForest
MVP

Yeah, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but that's an absolute shit ton of money to a guy who missed seven games last year. Really wonder how much DJ Moore will get paid when they re-up his deal.
wab
Mod

LacertineForest wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:13 am Yeah, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but that's an absolute shit ton of money to a guy who missed seven games last year. Really wonder how much DJ Moore will get paid when they re-up his deal.
I would think they would want to extend him sooner rather than later. He's only going to get more expensive.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:16 am
LacertineForest wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:13 am Yeah, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but that's an absolute shit ton of money to a guy who missed seven games last year. Really wonder how much DJ Moore will get paid when they re-up his deal.
I would think they would want to extend him sooner rather than later. He's only going to get more expensive.

I'll be surprised if the Bears don't let Allen walk after the season and extend DJ for about 3 yrs.
Gotta see how it plays out and make sure he's still healthy before you shovel out the huge guarantee.

Also, if having 3 top receivers and 5 high quality targets brings individual numbers down a bit, you may get off a little cheaper at that point.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Ryan Poles, better extend D.J. now. No telling how much it will cost the team to wait.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

When your QB is on a rookie deal you can do anything you want. Makes sense for the Vikings.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:10 am https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/402 ... -140m-deal

From Barnwell

Is this an unprecedented deal for a wide receiver?
Not really, no. While an average salary of $35 million is the most in terms of sheer cash for a non-quarterback in the history of the league, Jefferson's deal is in line with those of great wideouts from the past.

Again, considering salaries in the context of how the cap has risen tells us a lot more about the market than simply looking at the cash being paid out. Jefferson's $35 million average salary comes in a year in which the salary cap is $255.4 million. Divide one by the other and you'll find Jefferson's salary represents 13.7% of the cap.

That's actually behind the Hill (14.8%) and Adams (13.8%) contracts, although we've covered why there's some fluff on the back end of those deals. More realistic comparisons might be to players who led the market a decade ago. In August 2011, Larry Fitzgerald signed a seven-year, $113 million deal against a salary cap of $120 million. His massive extension averaged $16.1 million per year, which was 13.5% of the salary cap at the time.
LacertineForest
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:30 am

From Barnwell

Not really, no. While an average salary of $35 million is the most in terms of sheer cash for a non-quarterback in the history of the league, Jefferson's deal is in line with those of great wideouts from the past.

Again, considering salaries in the context of how the cap has risen tells us a lot more about the market than simply looking at the cash being paid out. Jefferson's $35 million average salary comes in a year in which the salary cap is $255.4 million. Divide one by the other and you'll find Jefferson's salary represents 13.7% of the cap.

That's actually behind the Hill (14.8%) and Adams (13.8%) contracts, although we've covered why there's some fluff on the back end of those deals. More realistic comparisons might be to players who led the market a decade ago. In August 2011, Larry Fitzgerald signed a seven-year, $113 million deal against a salary cap of $120 million. His massive extension averaged $16.1 million per year, which was 13.5% of the salary cap at the time.
Yeah, I thought about that, too, but it's still an absolute monster deal, and hopefully it does prevent the Vikings from doing other things they'd like (although, not likely considering they have a QB on a rookie deal now).
RichH55
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:35 am
RichH55 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:30 am

From Barnwell

Yeah, I thought about that, too, but it's still an absolute monster deal, and hopefully it does prevent the Vikings from doing other things they'd like (although, not likely considering they have a QB on a rookie deal now).
Yeah here's essentially a different view :
https://overthecap.com/thoughts-on-just ... e_vignette

He thinks its quite a jump forward

I do think we should be more focused on % of Cap in general
LacertineForest
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:38 am
LacertineForest wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:35 am

Definitely makes the most sense given how the cap goes up so frequently. Last week, I was looking at Aaron Rodgers' contract details compared to other QBs over the years, and the numbers didn't seem that horrible, but once they got to 2018 and beyond, you could see the impact in terms of cap %.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:16 am
RichH55 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:38 am

Definitely makes the most sense given how the cap goes up so frequently. Last week, I was looking at Aaron Rodgers' contract details compared to other QBs over the years, and the numbers didn't seem that horrible, but once they got to 2018 and beyond, you could see the impact in terms of cap %.
It's fair on that part (and his initial contract extension was actually pretty favorable for the Club). But it also coincides with Packers drafting pretty meh - and not brining in FA for a good chunk of his years.