FBR: Fields struggling in shorts

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

It kind of annoys me that they tossed Deshaun on a list of career backups, but it does feel crazy that he's only had 2089 attempts. He's thrown less footballs than Marcus Mariota! Such a promising career sidelined by THE WOKE MOB. Can we sign the mob to play DE opposite Sweat?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I was told repeatedly that Deshaun was "Elite"

In fairness I thought they meant at QB - not sexual assault
dplank
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:59 pm It kind of annoys me that they tossed Deshaun on a list of career backups, but it does feel crazy that he's only had 2089 attempts. He's thrown less footballs than Marcus Mariota! Such a promising career sidelined by THE WOKE MOB. Can we sign the mob to play DE opposite Sweat?
He’s one I’m real curious to see how he performs this year. The guy led the league in passing not that long ago, I think the negative pendulum has swung too far. Will see soon enough but I feel a bounce back year.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:58 am
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:59 pm It kind of annoys me that they tossed Deshaun on a list of career backups, but it does feel crazy that he's only had 2089 attempts. He's thrown less footballs than Marcus Mariota! Such a promising career sidelined by THE WOKE MOB. Can we sign the mob to play DE opposite Sweat?
He’s one I’m real curious to see how he performs this year. The guy led the league in passing not that long ago, I think the negative pendulum has swung too far. Will see soon enough but I feel a bounce back year.
It really does feel like this is the year where we find out if he's back or if he's burnt toast. Rooting for the latter of course but wont be surprised if the Browns tear it up this year.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:08 am
dplank wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:58 am

It really does feel like this is the year where we find out if he's back or if he's burnt toast. Rooting for the latter of course but wont be surprised if the Browns tear it up this year.
There is probably something in the middle - which is where he pretty much always was as a player. Never elite, but not this bad either.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I'm skeptical.

Bad first year back, I can totally see being temporary. But 2? My odds for him took a major dip.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

My concern with him was how slow he appeared to be. His game was full of amazing off schedule plays that became huge chunks and scores, but if his legs are gone then that part of his game will suffer tremendously. He can't stay healthy and seems like the injuries have taken a toll. So yea, his odds aren't great but maybe he reverts back to prior form.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:59 am My concern with him was how slow he appeared to be. His game was full of amazing off schedule plays that became huge chunks and scores, but if his legs are gone then that part of his game will suffer tremendously. He can't stay healthy and seems like the injuries have taken a toll. So yea, his odds aren't great but maybe he reverts back to prior form.
They generally did NOT lead to scores actually.

Even in the year with his best passing numbers - playing a particularly easy (relative to scoring Defenses) schedule - the Texans didn't score that many points that year.

They were 3rd in the AFC South alone in terms of Points Scored. I think up until Like Week 15, the Bears with the Nagy/Mitch had more Points than the Texans (Texans with big Weeks 15/16 would up having 12 More Points than the Bears) They were tied for 18th Most Points that year (A decent of the yards that year were Garbage time)

So saying that they Scored alot pre injuries (and he was never actually ALL that fast . 4.66 is fast for a QB, but not really for an NFL Player - Slower than Mariotta, About the Same as Mitch Trubisky
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:01 am
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:08 am

There is probably something in the middle - which is where he pretty much always was as a player. Never elite, but not this bad either.
And that's where I mean when I say "back." It's another one of those topics that's been litigated to death around here, but he's definitely not been playing at his previous level (however you view that level) since he's joined the Browns.
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:08 pm
HurricaneBear wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:58 am

41.8 million over 14 years while starting 5 games. Smartest player in NFL histoty imo. Has anyone made more for doing less over such a long period?
How about Charlie Whitehurst?
Chad Henne and Blaine Gabbert also come to mind.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:02 pm
RichH55 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:07 pm

Are we going per pass?

Marcus Mariotta is going to be in the discussion overall
Mariota has 2118 career attempts and has made 70mil in the nfl. So he's made $33k per pass.

Meanwhile Chase has made $264,500 per pass. Marcus cant touch that and I feel dumber for having crunched those numbers.
I appreciate you doing that (and finding the piece you posted), I was about to go down that rabbit hole and you saved me.
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

Don't get Jamarcus Russell being on the list either. He signed a stupid rookie contract and simply wasn't good enough.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:50 pm
Nothing would entertain me more than for JF1 to start for the Steelers and take them to the playoffs.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:50 pm
This guys thinks the Steelers would have passed on Wilson if they'd have known they could get Fields for a 4th round pick (which is what it will be if his appraisal of Fields is accurate)?

He's talking bollocks. Wilson's only costing the Steelers $1.21m this year. Any team in need of a QB would have snapped him up.

Now that doesn't mean there wouldn't be a competition for the starting role, but Tomlin made it clear from the outset that Wilson was going into the year as the #1. Both QBs wanted to go to Pittsburgh because the Steelers are a perennially good team and there was a chance to start.

I'd like it to work out for Fields, but all the other reports I've seen are that he's going to have his work cut out for him this year.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Man - that's terrible

Almost like Greeny doesn't know Football. Weird.

If we gave them truth serum.....but then they are gonna start Wilson anyway? What is the long game on that smokescreen?
LacertineForest
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:22 am Man - that's terrible

If we gave them truth serum.....but then they are gonna start Wilson anyway? What is the long game on that smokescreen?
I, for one, am shocked, that the GM who traded for Fields had good things to say about him.

Wasn't the report just last week that Fields was really struggling and there was no way he was going to start this year, barring injury?

I still maintain that I would love to see him succeed there, but boy was that a dumb segment.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:23 am
RichH55 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:22 am Man - that's terrible

I, for one, am shocked, that the GM who traded for Fields had good things to say about him.

Wasn't the report just last week that Fields was really struggling and there was no way he was going to start this year, barring injury?

I still maintain that I would love to see him succeed there, but boy was that a dumb segment.
Yeah, google decided to start giving me Steelers content in my feed when Justin got traded and I feel like I see 10 articles a week from actual beat guys saying "boy... he's a work in progress" and then one article a week from some loud TV guy saying he's gonna be starting any minute now.

Which, no one's gonna know anything til we see who gets the majority of 1st team reps in training camp... But I'm not holding my breath for a fourth round pick.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

King Chase the First!

Owns the worlds largest collections of: Clipboards, unsoiled game worn Jerseys/socks and cleats, hats/visors and beanies, playbooks and miscelainous team swag.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Happily, it finally involves the Bears.... :toast: :headbang: :transform: :jump:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The major thing in Fields' favor so far is that Wilson has reportedly been bad so far, too.

But, given Fields has had the same problems for 6-7 years running
While Wilson has been solid to outstanding for 11/12 of his pro years, including last season

it's easy to handicap which one has a better chance of starting to click this summer*

The other thing on Fields' side is that if both continue to suck, they could decide to go with the younger guy who could have some upside vs old guy on his way down.
As a team, Tomlin isn't desperate to win now, but they aren't really clearly rebuilding either. Could go either way with that.

* Against comparable competition. If Wilson plays all with 1s and Fields with 2s, you could easily get an illusion there.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think a lot of folks are taking mini camp news fodder far too seriously. My guess is that they start the season with Russ and after a few weeks Fields takes over. But if Russ plays well he will keep the job, which is possible, seems like a good offense for him.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:49 am I think a lot of folks are taking mini camp news fodder far too seriously. My guess is that they start the season with Russ and after a few weeks Fields takes over. But if Russ plays well he will keep the job, which is possible, seems like a good offense for him.
Fields probably only plays before Week 10 if there is an injury to Russ.

I don't think its merely training camp fodder - as much as just an acknowledgement of what Fields IS and IS NOT as a QB - with ALOT more data than merely training camp in Pitt

The fact that if he plays a certain amount of snaps - they give up a higher pick - also won't help his playing time cause
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

How do we go from JF1 returning kicks to now him being the potential starter?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:49 am I think a lot of folks are taking mini camp news fodder far too seriously.
This more than anything. Stupidest time of the year when writers are desperate for content. It's pretty funny to be following another team in this regard... Very comforting to know that shit's stupid for other teams too. :D
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Fields struggling in shorts
if that is the issue, then maybe he needs to finally switch to big boy pants? maybe than he can take care of business
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:27 am How do we go from JF1 returning kicks to now him being the potential starter?
Well often Pittsburgh will get the ball first - so he's technically the starter then right?
malk
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:31 am
RichH55 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:13 am

Yeah - Processing speed is just the absolute hardest thing to get better at as a QB.

I have gone over this before - but I don't think you are right overall on the changing positions being the only way to have an NFL Career.

If you mean -potential IMPACT ? Then you are correct. There is a world where he's an incredible HBack/WR. Basically a better version of Logan Thomas/T. Pryor. Both of whom (especially Thomas) were always pretty good comps for Justin.

But there is no guarantee there - and that career tends to be shorter and for less money.

Marcus Mariotta's career is looking like a particularly viable option - And that is a long and lucrative career.

Backup QB can be a helluva career path
Backup QB is probably the best long term career path in sports besides super star player. You get millions upon millions of dollars without putting a beating on your body. And then you can probably get a media career as a talking head or a job as a coach.

I dont know if Justin would accept that. He didn't handle the backup role in college or his 1st year from reports. It would be amazing if he would make the switch to some hybrid role. He could be game changing. His legs are absolutely hall of fame level elite.
Too early for this now, he's still 40:30 TD:INT even ignoring his legs, but if it does get to a point where he becomes primarily a backup then you'd imagine a good coach could put together some quality packages for him. Either a few change of pace snaps during a game to force teams to account for a completely different look, or have him in as a running back that could do something unexpected. Not least because if he accepted that role teams would be a lot less concerned about him taking hits, which opens up other options with him.

Of course it might just not translate, or teams might not be willing to devote enough precious practice time to make it work, but he's too talented for it not to at least be intriguing.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)