For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/405 ... ights-deal

NFL - Seems like their deal is kind of So-So now
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Lots of years. Lots of $ so that player salaries can increase 10% each year. Perhaps the biggest I read is that the NBA is ready to expand (hello Vegas and Seattle?). So would the NFL think about it also with a new megadeal? Can you say 2nd team in Chicago?
malk
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:43 am Lots of years. Lots of $ so that player salaries can increase 10% each year. Perhaps the biggest I read is that the NBA is ready to expand (hello Vegas and Seattle?). So would the NFL think about it also with a new megadeal? Can you say 2nd team in Chicago?
I still find it baffling that there isn't a 2nd division for the NFL. It must not be economic but that seems strange given there are more than 10m people in the US alone per NFL team. Anyway, completely off topic!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
dplank
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:18 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:43 am Lots of years. Lots of $ so that player salaries can increase 10% each year. Perhaps the biggest I read is that the NBA is ready to expand (hello Vegas and Seattle?). So would the NFL think about it also with a new megadeal? Can you say 2nd team in Chicago?
I still find it baffling that there isn't a 2nd division for the NFL. It must not be economic but that seems strange given there are more than 10m people in the US alone per NFL team. Anyway, completely off topic!
Completely agree with this. The NFL really, really needs a version of NBA G League or MiLB or AHL that runs concurrent with the season and allows teams to promote players to the top team in season as injuries and stuff occur. It would allow for more player development to take place and teams could ensure scheme continuity while they are running their affiliate program so guys are more capable of stepping in and being ready when needed vs signing some dude off the street and having to teach them the playbook. The game is too complicated for that to work well.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:28 pm

Completely agree with this. The NFL really, really needs a version of NBA G League or MiLB or AHL that runs concurrent with the season and allows teams to promote players to the top team in season as injuries and stuff occur. It would allow for more player development to take place and teams could ensure scheme continuity while they are running their affiliate program so guys are more capable of stepping in and being ready when needed vs signing some dude off the street and having to teach them the playbook. The game is too complicated for that to work well.
Great idea. Maybe, as college, high school etc. football runs about the same time as the NFL, it feels like another league would have too much competition. Also, NFL owners are notoriously cheap and may not want to pay for a farm league.
malk
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:28 pm

There's so little development time as well. 32 QBs in the league getting the vast majority of the snaps, there are absolutely guys who could have been great who just didn't get an opportunity.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)