The "I Hate My Job" Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:39 am What do you attribute the labor shortage too?

This issue is everywhere except for people with YouTube channels.

Baby Boomer retirements are a huge issue. Especially people on the fringe of retirement that are just like fuck it.

We've had 700K people die of Covid, but of that like 150K-160K were working age so that's not really driving it.

The increased unemployment benefits played a role, but didn't those stop?

Gen Z wants to work in tech somehow. Anything not related to that is going to suffer.
Well its likely multiple issues like you list. One of them is political against both parties but not worth mentioning in this context. The covid deaths is interesting. I would like to post something about the death numbers that is first hand info but also anecdotal. Maybe I will in the covid chat.

1 is definitely the boomer generation aging out.

2 is covid. Multiple reasons with the response to covid most get political.

3 I would say like you the new generation. Several young people seem to be uninterested in doing jobs they dont care about. Many of us worked shit jobs but that seems to be taboo now.

4. The unemployment benefits did take a lot of people out of the work force. I dont know what the benefits package is today, but it was a reason many initially left.

I hope this isnt taken wrong, but one thing I think is over looked. I think covid got a lot of women out of the work place. This isnt good or bad. I know a lot of women who stayed at home with their children and they found more satisfaction. My wife is essentially one of them and many women I know have.

My jobs slightly unique. As a cop the boomer generation are aging out. No one wants to do it based of the social pressures. The pay isnt great, it's not bad but far from great. I work for a mid sized department. We use to get 500 applicants. 50 would be a lot today. Over half dont make the background. A large percentage dont make the physical, medical etc. The list gets narrowed quick.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:25 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:39 am What do you attribute the labor shortage too?

This issue is everywhere except for people with YouTube channels.

Baby Boomer retirements are a huge issue. Especially people on the fringe of retirement that are just like fuck it.

We've had 700K people die of Covid, but of that like 150K-160K were working age so that's not really driving it.

The increased unemployment benefits played a role, but didn't those stop?

Gen Z wants to work in tech somehow. Anything not related to that is going to suffer.
Well its likely multiple issues like you list. One of them is political against both parties but not worth mentioning in this context. The covid deaths is interesting. I would like to post something about the death numbers that is first hand info but also anecdotal. Maybe I will in the covid chat.

1 is definitely the boomer generation aging out.

2 is covid. Multiple reasons with the response to covid most get political.

3 I would say like you the new generation. Several young people seem to be uninterested in doing jobs they dont care about. Many of us worked shit jobs but that seems to be taboo now.

4. The unemployment benefits did take a lot of people out of the work force. I dont know what the benefits package is today, but it was a reason many initially left.

I hope this isnt taken wrong, but one thing I think is over looked. I think covid got a lot of women out of the work place. This isnt good or bad. I know a lot of women who stayed at home with their children and they found more satisfaction. My wife is essentially one of them and many women I know have.

My jobs slightly unique. As a cop the boomer generation are aging out. No one wants to do it based of the social pressures. The pay isnt great, it's not bad but far from great. I work for a mid sized department. We use to get 500 applicants. 50 would be a lot today. Over half dont make the background. A large percentage dont make the physical, medical etc. The list gets narrowed quick.
I feel your comment about women wanting to stay home is accurate. It's accurate for a lot of men too. For those who could work from home during this that opened a lot of eyes about what a pain in the ass and how expensive it is to commute. Hundreds of dollars per month and a solid two hours lost per day.

It's just so widespread. Manufacturing plants cannot get people at all. Restaurants. Education jobs are also a nightmare for social pressures. Young people don't want office jobs unless they're at a tech company.

Just doing a quick Google search about Baby Boomer retirements and 10,000 of them are retiring every day.

So depending on if we're talking about working days or calendar days that's anywhere from 200,000 to 300,000 people per month. That's just almost (sometimes more) people retiring than people being hired.

Give that pace two years. Say 250,000 boomers on average. That's 6,000,000 people retiring from most likely non-high tech related jobs.

The labor shortage is only going to get worse.
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

Well our Boss retired and half of the workers quit also. They didnt want to work for the new owners, the entire body shop left, our service and parts managers left with out notice and really put us in a bind. I have 25 years in and the mechanic has 37 years in and we stayed we couldnt just walk out on all of customers it would not be fair to them. It has been a huge change in the way it is run. it is much more computerized in many ways. I am trying to transition in to the parts department but It may be a few years untill that happens since the other tech and myself are the only certified and trained Techs in the shop. Cant find any one willing to come and work as a tech. Oh well only another 18 years and I can retire. UFF DA
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Anybody here work with somebody that is just nothing but theory?

No execution of anything ever. Just these flights of fancy theories of some mystical ideal state?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not any longer. She retired earlier this year. She was a supervisor in another county in our circuit but she was always trying to change shit on her whim. Hearing her nasally voice and just hearing her name used to piss me off.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:29 am Anybody here work with somebody that is just nothing but theory?

No execution of anything ever. Just these flights of fancy theories of some mystical ideal state?
Explain? I think my new head boss is kind of what you're talking about. He is changing the meaning of words, and essentially run the ship into the ground. Based on a vision he has, that is insane. My workplace has crumbled because of it.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:59 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:29 am Anybody here work with somebody that is just nothing but theory?

Explain? I think my new head boss is kind of what you're talking about. He is changing the meaning of words, and essentially run the ship into the ground. Based on a vision he has, that is insane. My workplace has crumbled because of it.
Naturally like every work project ever there's a KICK OFF (eye roll) then a series of never ending meetings about what the Mythical Ideal State looks like. Never mind about whether or not the Mythical Ideal State is achievable.

Down the rabbit hole we go. Three meetings about the exact same topic. No progress. Just getting everybody's opinion and making them feel included for the sake of them feeling included. No decisions ever. Just gathering everybody's feelings.

Yet the Mythical Ideal State is talked about as if it's Valinor (i.e. The Blessed Realm).

Nevermind that it may or may not be possible. It certainly won't be possible with the current level of staffing. Nobody wants to hear that part.

And around and around and around we go.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I understand what you mean but my job has very little of that. When we do have work groups that happens.

So like 20 years a few places tried to implement these systems to better production. Six sigma process excellent shit. Its essentially a failed system because of exactly what you describe.

My work implimented a bastardized version of it after I worked in a company that used six sigma principles. Things just grind down to individuals thoughts and non progression.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Any of you guys work with people who like to flex about sending emails off hours?

In my case, usually it’s a person who is on the bubble flexing about some meaningless bullshit. OH DID YOU GET THAT EMAIL I SENT LAST NIGHT? Get a home life asshole.

Yes I saw the email when I logged in this morning.
Xee
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:50 am Any of you guys work with people who like to flex about sending emails off hours?

In my case, usually it’s a person who is on the bubble flexing about some meaningless bullshit. OH DID YOU GET THAT EMAIL I SENT LAST NIGHT? Get a home life asshole.

Does the work culture promote/reward this? I previously worked in an industry that talked highly of people who "went the extra mile" but it was usually only the newbies who bought into it and would send emails like that or put in long hours when they were unnecessary. Those of us who had been around the block a few times knew it was a great way to get burned out with little return so we did what was required and barely anything more than that.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:51 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:50 am Any of you guys work with people who like to flex about sending emails off hours?

Does the work culture promote/reward this? I previously worked in an industry that talked highly of people who "went the extra mile" but it was usually only the newbies who bought into it and would send emails like that or put in long hours when they were unnecessary. Those of us who had been around the block a few times knew it was a great way to get burned out with little return so we did what was required and barely anything more than that.
Not in this case no.

This is a person who is on the bubble or at least I hope is. More and more responsibility is taken away from her. She'll flex about things like oh I sent that email at 11pm. Or openly advertise how busy she is.

It's nauseating to be around.

At a previous employer I had a boss that was at work until 10pm consistently. I left on time with regularity. As did most if not all of the other people. I would make conversation with people in the department, including that guy's boss, and all of them were like they have no idea what's going on with that. Totally unnecessary.

Another one that happened was a boss of mine that bragged about putting together a PowerPoint presentation on Thanksgiving. Like you're proud of that? She made comments in the past about how she would dread going on vacation with her husband.

My suspicion in most cases is a broken home life and these people needed an excuse to either not go home or not spend time with their family.

In terms of doing what's required, yeah I agree because more often than not going the extra mile gets punished and not rewarded. Hounded with stupid questions. Extra work in a special circumstance now becomes regularly expected work. That kind of thing.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I mean I dont understand "flexing" about it, but I've put together training plans on my own time. Generally because when training I actually care and want it to be good. I recently had to do a big purchase order at home because my work moved up the timeline, and it was important equipment. However I rarely do work at home unpaid unless it's what I consider important.

I dont think its impressive and generally unnecessary. You should be compensated if you are hourly for work. There can be exceptions.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am on call 24-7, 365, unless I am on vacation. The majority of calls are always in the 2a-430a range it seems like. Fucking delinquents can't get arrested at 8p, that would be too convenient.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:40 pm I am on call 24-7, 365, unless I am on vacation. The majority of calls are always in the 2a-430a range it seems like. Fucking delinquents can't get arrested at 8p, that would be too convenient.
Welp I've made some of those calls. As I work 10p-6a. "Hey so duechbag did a duechbag thing, will you put a hold on him?"

I only call for holds when it's legit but it pisses me off when they refuse. "Look douchebag is naked in the woods, and been doing meth for 7 days, I found him fucking a beanie baby , you got to put a hold on him." "Well what's the crime?"
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

:rofl:

We have to go through a screening form in able to detain. If I know the kid or have heard he/she is a d bag, I am more than willing to fudge some information so they score high enough to be locked up. Whenever I need a point or 2 I ask the officer, "Did he/she pull away from you, turn away from you, you know resist?" Sometimes I talk the officers into additional charges. I always say the State's Attorney can file what they want anyway. I deal with a few officers who get pissed when I do not lock up a kid for Retail theft, and it is their first offense.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I work for a Fortune 50 company with an amazing corporate culture. There's no pressure to work off hours, and in fact it's the exact opposite. I'm a global account manager for the company, so I do end up working some nights on proposals and tedious account management shit. I deal with Directors, VP's and C-Level employees of other Fortune 500 companies, and usually find them to be pretty reasonable and straightforward. Maybe it's because we're such a vital part of their supply chain, or maybe I'm just charming :rofl: . Don't get me wrong, I deal with plenty of assholes and idiots. But I have found that if I just shut the assholes down and tell them that if they want my help/advice/direction, they need to be more polite, it usually works wonders. I have also learned in my 20 years of account management; 1. Don't take anything personally and be kind, 2. A good internal network will save your ass on a regular basis, 3. Turning any situation into a revenue generating opportunity is rewarding and pretty easy, 4. Life is short, stay present.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:12 am

I work for a Fortune 50 company with an amazing corporate culture. There's no pressure to work off hours, and in fact it's the exact opposite. I'm a global account manager for the company, so I do end up working some nights on proposals and tedious account management shit. I deal with Directors, VP's and C-Level employees of other Fortune 500 companies, and usually find them to be pretty reasonable and straightforward. Maybe it's because we're such a vital part of their supply chain, or maybe I'm just charming :rofl: . Don't get me wrong, I deal with plenty of assholes and idiots. But I have found that if I just shut the assholes down and tell them that if they want my help/advice/direction, they need to be more polite, it usually works wonders. I have also learned in my 20 years of account management; 1. Don't take anything personally and be kind, 2. A good internal network will save your ass on a regular basis, 3. Turning any situation into a revenue generating opportunity is rewarding and pretty easy, 4. Life is short, stay present.
It’s totally because you’re charming. I don’t doubt that for a minute.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:38 am I deal with a few officers who get pissed when I do not lock up a kid for Retail theft, and it is their first offense.
I dont know why anyone would be upset with that at least in my county but I have seen similar. I hate the guy on paper for DUI who gets arrested for another DUI and they refuse the hold. I get in my county its generally only safety/felony holds, but it's an easy revocation.
wab
Mod

This is also me.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:36 am

It’s totally because you’re charming. I don’t doubt that for a minute.
:wink: :toast:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The labor shortage and job market are for real.

I wasn't even really looking for a new job and I got one in less than a week.

Long story short, I build out back office accounting and finance functions with a focus on reporting for investors and to increase profits. I think it's fun, but stories about what I do put other people to sleep.

They approached me towards the end of the week two weeks ago. Less than a week later I had a job offer.

It is crazy out there. People are / have been retiring in droves with no pipeline to replace them across numerous disciplines. Then young people don't have the experience at my level nor even on a junior level because people do the gig economy now.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Congrats TMP!!

This week has been hell. Dealing with a kid placed at a hospital that the detention center would not pick up at discharge. I traveled 40 minutes to get him. Get back to the detention center and the dude was in full blown seizure mode (that is what he was in the hospital for).

A kid has a pending Agg Criminal Sexual Assault (rape), Escape. He committed to Aggravated Batteries on a school bus. He was fighting one kid while an older woman (the bus monitor) was attempting to hold him back. The kid gets detained. Comes to court for his detention hearing and the fucking young, not so bright, asst state's attorney has him released from custody :angry: After court knowing I was pissed, comes to my office to apologize. I could not even look at the fucker. Told him it is over, nothing he can do about now. Told him it was the wrong move.

Hell, I told the guy how to file the charges so we could hold him twice as long. He didn't do that right either. Breaking in these new attorneys sucks. I have been in this county 16 years. I have had to deal with 19 different assistants and or State's Attorneys during that time. :frustrated:
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:12 pm A kid has a pending Agg Criminal Sexual Assault (rape), Escape.
I will never understand why the courts dont treat major sexual crimes appropriately and how society expects them to be handled. Even people who I know that are on the side of no one should be imprisoned have expectations to sexual predators.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I've had a really shitty work month, and I'm using this thread to purely vent, which is its intent.

We are so short staffed its insane. Positions are going unfilled. I've worked overtime every day but 3 this month. Last month it was every day but 5. That doesnt include my overtime on my days off, only 2 days each month. It's hard to explain but it's not directly a staffing issue it's more of an administrative issue. We have people in different departments that can fill in but are not allowed to. Problem is it was bad this year, next year appears worse.

Then this month the calls are just garbage. I hate mother fuckers who run out of gas and dont have money for gas. Yet they clearly where just at the gas station with their red bull, chips, cigarettes, etc.

We have had a ton of bad crashes. A kid likely is going to die from a recent one, hit by a drunk who took off. The deaths have been insane. More PNBS then I've ever had. Some of them actually made it. But holy shit the overdoses are off the charts.

Last night I had my first real covid death. I say real because he was the first without other factors like heroin or brain cancer. Guy had a herd of kids. I got super pissed when the paramedic asked the 1st on scene if the family was doing good ccr. Ccr was started by his 16 year old son. If the kid heard it, which I dont know if he did, it would destroy him. Family rarely does good ccr. Lack of training, and you literally break cartilage/bones. It's a wierd, feeling the cracking and popping. Family doesnt want to hurt their loved one so they dont push hard enough. Death doesnt really bother me as much as some, but why would anyone say that in front of the family.

I'm glad tomorrow is Friday.
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

Well it looks as if my days of turning wrenches for a living is over. The owner of our dealership has retired and sold the Dealership. I was talking with the new owner and hinted that I didn't want to be a mechanic any longer. We have worked out a plan where I will be working as a Parts/Service advisor like position. He said he didn't want to lose the knowledge I have acquired over the last 25 years. There is going to be a lot to learn as I will be working directly with the customers and helping the new techs that come in. they also want me to start doing some warranty/claims processing in the future. It will be a challenge to learn 3 departments but the more I can do the harder it is to fire me. LOL
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

That's awesome Rock. When my old man quit turning wrenches, it was to drink and work construction. Your plan seems like a better strategy lol. Seems like they plan on you doing a lot which speaks volumes of the respect they have in you. Now all the shit you likely talked about service writers will be understood. Unless the mechanic to service writer fued has ended sense the 90s.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Rockbear99 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:06 am Well it looks as if my days of turning wrenches for a living is over. The owner of our dealership has retired and sold the Dealership. I was talking with the new owner and hinted that I didn't want to be a mechanic any longer. We have worked out a plan where I will be working as a Parts/Service advisor like position. He said he didn't want to lose the knowledge I have acquired over the last 25 years. There is going to be a lot to learn as I will be working directly with the customers and helping the new techs that come in. they also want me to start doing some warranty/claims processing in the future. It will be a challenge to learn 3 departments but the more I can do the harder it is to fire me. LOL
HA! Truth. Make yourself indispensable. I think it will be a challenge transitioning over to a customer facing role. In general people are idiots, and not very considerate. Just remember, "Never underestimate the power of idiots in large groups." ~ George Carlin. Just don't take anything personally, and kill them with kindness. You will confuse the hell out of the angry people.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Really enjoyed network administration for the final 20 years of work. Was able to retire at 63-1/2 so any complaints about the boss don't go anywhere.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
UOK
Site Admin

Playing catch-up.
mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:58 am I've had a really shitty work month, and I'm using this thread to purely vent, which is its intent.

We are so short staffed its insane. Positions are going unfilled. I've worked overtime every day but 3 this month. Last month it was every day but 5. That doesnt include my overtime on my days off, only 2 days each month. It's hard to explain but it's not directly a staffing issue it's more of an administrative issue. We have people in different departments that can fill in but are not allowed to. Problem is it was bad this year, next year appears worse.

Then this month the calls are just garbage. I hate mother fuckers who run out of gas and dont have money for gas. Yet they clearly where just at the gas station with their red bull, chips, cigarettes, etc.

We have had a ton of bad crashes. A kid likely is going to die from a recent one, hit by a drunk who took off. The deaths have been insane. More PNBS then I've ever had. Some of them actually made it. But holy shit the overdoses are off the charts.

Last night I had my first real covid death. I say real because he was the first without other factors like heroin or brain cancer. Guy had a herd of kids. I got super pissed when the paramedic asked the 1st on scene if the family was doing good ccr. Ccr was started by his 16 year old son. If the kid heard it, which I dont know if he did, it would destroy him. Family rarely does good ccr. Lack of training, and you literally break cartilage/bones. It's a wierd, feeling the cracking and popping. Family doesnt want to hurt their loved one so they dont push hard enough. Death doesnt really bother me as much as some, but why would anyone say that in front of the family.

I'm glad tomorrow is Friday.

1. Administration in all retail scenarios cut staffing before anything else because they never have to deal with the brunt of it. All they see are graphs moving up or down and out of sight, out of mind. It's especially mind-boggling with the medical/pharmaceutical field. A friend of mine is a pharmacist for one of the bigguns and the corporate brass is all-too keen on shortstaffing as much as possible, while at the same time trying to stifle the overall average pay for existing staff and drastically underpaying incoming personnel. During the tail end of an international pandemic. Stupid.

2. Another "friend" of mine was one of those dopes. Guy always complained of how hard his financial situation was, then would proceed to adopt a dog, buy the most expensive cable/internet/entertainment packages, and do his "grocery" shopping at gas stations, with the bulk of the income going toward energy drinks, cigarettes, and lottery tickets. Took him almost 15 years, but he's married now and his wife doesn't put up with that shit, thankfully.

3. Yet another friend of mine works at a medical facility out west. He sees covid deaths pretty regularly, and I can tell he's getting a bit numb to it. The CCR stuff is interesting, as I just discussed this the other day. I'm no expert, but as you said, to do it right you really have to fuck up their sternum and ribcage. It sounds like you're killing them, and even if they live they're going to be in intense pain afterward. Anyway, hopefully that kid didn't catch that bit of information. There's no benefit in him knowing right now and living with that regret.
Rockbear99 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:06 am Well it looks as if my days of turning wrenches for a living is over. The owner of our dealership has retired and sold the Dealership. I was talking with the new owner and hinted that I didn't want to be a mechanic any longer. We have worked out a plan where I will be working as a Parts/Service advisor like position. He said he didn't want to lose the knowledge I have acquired over the last 25 years. There is going to be a lot to learn as I will be working directly with the customers and helping the new techs that come in. they also want me to start doing some warranty/claims processing in the future. It will be a challenge to learn 3 departments but the more I can do the harder it is to fire me. LOL
Glad that the new owner recognized how valuable that experience and knowledge can be, especially in regards to certain industries. As somebody who works in the IT field, I'm lucky in that I know enough to combat 85% of the average problem, but can redeem my value by knowing what questions to ask and being customer/user-friendly and approachable. The people who solve the remaining 15% are often shut-ins who cannot tolerate other human beings. Not that I'm some happy-go-lucky friendly face at work, but people know they can get good service through me even on my bad days.

Sounds like you're entering a specialty situation where there's more customer interaction, but not enough to drive you nuts (hopefully!) and the young guns can absorb some of your approach to see what made you a staple for the previous owner for so long.

Either way, I think it's pretty great that you've been in that industry for so long. I have a ton of respect for people whose knowledge of a specific trade is irreplaceable, and it makes me happy when that experience is recognized, even in small ways. I hope it's a great gig for ya, Rock.
Grizzled wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:03 pm Really enjoyed network administration for the final 20 years of work. Was able to retire at 63-1/2 so any complaints about the boss don't go anywhere.
We have a few guys who are our network admin gophers/sniffers and do a good job. I have stayed out of that particular field of weeds, but that's kind of in the next tier of the IT world that simply doesn't interest me all that much. I like dealing with end-user situations and small projects that have a clear beginning and ending. How do you like retirement? Took my folks a few years to get used to it, but they've found their groove.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:17 am
Grizzled wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:03 pm Really enjoyed network administration for the final 20 years of work. Was able to retire at 63-1/2 so any complaints about the boss don't go anywhere.
We have a few guys who are our network admin gophers/sniffers and do a good job. I have stayed out of that particular field of weeds, but that's kind of in the next tier of the IT world that simply doesn't interest me all that much. I like dealing with end-user situations and small projects that have a clear beginning and ending. How do you like retirement? Took my folks a few years to get used to it, but they've found their groove.
A lot of my work was end-user support, both hardware and software related. Over 700 workstations, lots of servers, network infrastructure, security, developing and supporting use of mobile resources for a wastewater agency encompassing a 60 mile long area and 2 counties in Washington state.

As my father used to say, if I had known had good retirement was, I'd have done it 10 years earlier. I enjoy every minute, do whatever I want. I"ve never regretted it. The agency I was working for was more and more going to a centralized IT model. I was literally the last hold-out, operating how I wanted to rather than their way so I was glad to leave. If you retire before 65, though or your spouse isn't 65, the medical insurance is expensive and a pain-in-the-ass to arrange. And, of course, the $ have to be there without a paycheck.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.