The "I Hate My Job" Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Yikes, you guys have some real shit to deal with. Hats off to you, gotta be hard seeing all the nastiest parts of our society and not let it affect you personally.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Met with the Judge along with the State's Attorney. Informed the Judge that it is my judge to present the state with recommendations on the referrals. Told him that the SA presented more evidence than she needed to regarding the petition that was filed. He agreed with me and stated she cannot go back on what she testified to in court. He basically told her she "talked too much." He cannot "unhear" what she said. She present evidence of a new crime that she didn't charge. Thus, hearing that, he was sticking to not taking the recommendation based off of her diarrhea of the mouth. He said he would have been happy to go along with the recommendations of the charged offense, but, she could not shut up in court.

I also pointed out that hearings should have been scheduled weekly after the kid was detained due to him being a flight risk. That was a wash because the kid committed 2 felonies (Agg Battery and CDTP) while in detention. Now he is on the criminal clock and not the DCFS clock.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:37 am Yikes, you guys have some real shit to deal with. Hats off to you, gotta be hard seeing all the nastiest parts of our society and not let it affect you personally.
Honestly my current position is fun. I'm not great at it yet but it's a different world. Also day shift is nice. It makes it easy to laugh at the idiocracy. A lot of people don't see what happens in some parts of the world. We recently had a felon shoot some rounds at us. Not me my buddies. He got arrested for a slew of charges. Most got dropped by the DA. The felon in possession of 5 firearms and shooting rounds into the ceiling and wall were my buddies were standing went to trial. He got found not guilty. He possessed the gun by shooting it. Still not guilty. The jury said they didnt think he was trying to hurt anyone. Which has nothing to do with the statute. Now hes sueing and I bet gets paid. Its comedic.

Otis gets to see a very frustrating side. I've never done p&p work but the system seems painful to me. Atleast here people break the rules, commit crimes, and the agent will fight the good fight to get kicked squarely in the nuts.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

We have had 2 similar shooting cases recently. Both "shooters" had fairly decent records of past criminal history. Both "shooters" shot the victim unprovoked. Both victims survived. Neither victim was armed. One shooter got 40 yrs. The other got 5. Kind of tough to explain the disparity when in actuality, IMO, both should have been up for attempted murder (neither were). They were felons in possession of a firearm and the other offense was reckless discharge of a firearm (you thing?).

Gun violence has become far too prevalent. No one fights anymore. Someone gets called out, the other produces a firearm and starts shooting.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Had probably one of my (not the most) most frustrating days on the job yesterday. Thursday is court day. Right away you could tell the Judge had an attitude problem. I like this judge. He has been the hammer that the juvenile court has needed. He is pretty consistent. Yesterday though, he just had attitude seeping out. First case of the day, he told the attorneys prior to court he was not accepting any pleas and he was going to set the matter for trial. It is a simple battery. The female offender and her mom have pissed him off though. The offender does not go to school consistently and the mother just makes excuses. Still, now way this should be going to trial. An agreement, based off my recommendations would have been easily reached and fair for all.

Around that same time he made some unprofessional remarks about a motion hearing that was scheduled for the afternoon. I could tell he had his mind made up about the matter even after he admitted that he had not read the psych eval that was prepared for the case. It was a motion to get a person (has turned 18) off the juvenile sex offender registry.

To not get too involved in this motion hearing, it is complicated with many plot twists, he denied the motion. The juvenile court act is geared to rehabilitation and putting the juveniles in the least restrictive environment. So 6 yrs ago, this female juvenile, 12 at the time of sentencing, was sentence to 5 yrs probation and put on the registry. Effing absurd. Her legal counsel was absent to put it mildly. The judge was totally wrong to take the plea. The grandparents raising the 12 yr old took the plea out of fear. They feared their granddaughter would go to prison. Their attorney was not smart enough to know that 12 yr olds cannot be sentenced to prison, let alone a detention center. Why the judge took the plea is beyond me as well. It is common practice for first offenders, when the offense is not heinous, and the juvenile is this young, to continue the case under supervision for 2 yrs.

This juvenile completed the 5 yrs of probation with no problems whatsoever. Completed the counseling that was ordered and continued to do aftercare as well. No violations. No sexual acting out behaviors. No deviant behaviors. No problems at all. Psych eval that was completed for the hearing was pretty positive. Girl has had some problems since getting off probation (not criminal, personal). Risk level was assessed as low (there is no such thing as no risk when it comes to sex offenders).

So the motion hearing takes place. The judge kicked me out of the courtroom as I said I was not there in my capacity as probation officer. I was there to support the family and offender. AFter testimony the judge made his ruling. He was crude, called the offender a liar and called the offender by the wrong name (on purpose) and as he was telling everyone that the motion was denied, he rips the motion up and throws it into the air. Very unprofessional to say the least. The State was not opposing the motion. The offender has shown she is rehabilitated. She did what was asked of her and has been a productive member of society. JUvenile sex offender registries do more harm than good, as opposed to adult registries. The registry serves no purpose with regard to recidivism. Juvenile sex offenders recidivate at about a 3%. Juvenile sex offenders who participate and complete treatment and reside in the community are less likely to recidivate. I think the judge took this situation personal. He has two young daughters and seemed to have biases against a few other factors in this case.

Rehabilitation is the key. It was and is accomplished by this offender. In my line of work, we are not adversaries to anyone. I may hate the crimes these people commit, but I have to deal with them and assist them in successfully completing their terms of probation/supervision. You have to wipe away your feelings of the offense and move forward. I don't think the judge did that. Not sure I can another parent or client to pursue getting off the registry after that display yesterday.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:39 pm Had probably one of my (not the most) most frustrating days on the job yesterday. Thursday is court day. Right away you could tell the Judge had an attitude problem. I like this judge. He has been the hammer that the juvenile court has needed. He is pretty consistent. Yesterday though, he just had attitude seeping out. First case of the day, he told the attorneys prior to court he was not accepting any pleas and he was going to set the matter for trial. It is a simple battery. The female offender and her mom have pissed him off though. The offender does not go to school consistently and the mother just makes excuses. Still, now way this should be going to trial. An agreement, based off my recommendations would have been easily reached and fair for all.

Around that same time he made some unprofessional remarks about a motion hearing that was scheduled for the afternoon. I could tell he had his mind made up about the matter even after he admitted that he had not read the psych eval that was prepared for the case. It was a motion to get a person (has turned 18) off the juvenile sex offender registry.

To not get too involved in this motion hearing, it is complicated with many plot twists, he denied the motion. The juvenile court act is geared to rehabilitation and putting the juveniles in the least restrictive environment. So 6 yrs ago, this female juvenile, 12 at the time of sentencing, was sentence to 5 yrs probation and put on the registry. Effing absurd. Her legal counsel was absent to put it mildly. The judge was totally wrong to take the plea. The grandparents raising the 12 yr old took the plea out of fear. They feared their granddaughter would go to prison. Their attorney was not smart enough to know that 12 yr olds cannot be sentenced to prison, let alone a detention center. Why the judge took the plea is beyond me as well. It is common practice for first offenders, when the offense is not heinous, and the juvenile is this young, to continue the case under supervision for 2 yrs.

This juvenile completed the 5 yrs of probation with no problems whatsoever. Completed the counseling that was ordered and continued to do aftercare as well. No violations. No sexual acting out behaviors. No deviant behaviors. No problems at all. Psych eval that was completed for the hearing was pretty positive. Girl has had some problems since getting off probation (not criminal, personal). Risk level was assessed as low (there is no such thing as no risk when it comes to sex offenders).

So the motion hearing takes place. The judge kicked me out of the courtroom as I said I was not there in my capacity as probation officer. I was there to support the family and offender. AFter testimony the judge made his ruling. He was crude, called the offender a liar and called the offender by the wrong name (on purpose) and as he was telling everyone that the motion was denied, he rips the motion up and throws it into the air. Very unprofessional to say the least. The State was not opposing the motion. The offender has shown she is rehabilitated. She did what was asked of her and has been a productive member of society. JUvenile sex offender registries do more harm than good, as opposed to adult registries. The registry serves no purpose with regard to recidivism. Juvenile sex offenders recidivate at about a 3%. Juvenile sex offenders who participate and complete treatment and reside in the community are less likely to recidivate. I think the judge took this situation personal. He has two young daughters and seemed to have biases against a few other factors in this case.

Rehabilitation is the key. It was and is accomplished by this offender. In my line of work, we are not adversaries to anyone. I may hate the crimes these people commit, but I have to deal with them and assist them in successfully completing their terms of probation/supervision. You have to wipe away your feelings of the offense and move forward. I don't think the judge did that. Not sure I can another parent or client to pursue getting off the registry after that display yesterday.
Can the judge be sanctioned for those actions and behaviors? Another hearing ordered by a court superior to this one?
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

First, he could be sanctioned if any of the parties were to take action and make contact with is Chief Judge. Not sure that will happen. Really there are only the transcripts to go off of. With regard to calling the offender by the wrong name, he could claim ignorance on that.

The decision can be appealed but I am not sure the offender's attorney wants to proceed.
LacertineForest
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:39 pm Had probably one of my (not the most) most frustrating days on the job yesterday. Thursday is court day. Right away you could tell the Judge had an attitude problem. I like this judge. He has been the hammer that the juvenile court has needed. He is pretty consistent. Yesterday though, he just had attitude seeping out. First case of the day, he told the attorneys prior to court he was not accepting any pleas and he was going to set the matter for trial. It is a simple battery. The female offender and her mom have pissed him off though. The offender does not go to school consistently and the mother just makes excuses. Still, now way this should be going to trial. An agreement, based off my recommendations would have been easily reached and fair for all.

Yeah, this would be tough to watch, and I agree with everything you said regarding rehab and juvenile sex offender registries. Dealing with foster kids, I've seen them make some truly horrible decisions (and sex is often a big part of that), but you can't give up on them or just punish them forever. It's crazy to me that this person actually did what they were asked, yet received no real reward for their actions. That's the exact opposite that needed to happen because you can bet that person is now even more jaded than they probably ever were. Good on you for at least trying to be there for the kid.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:39 am First, he could be sanctioned if any of the parties were to take action and make contact with is Chief Judge. Not sure that will happen. Really there are only the transcripts to go off of. With regard to calling the offender by the wrong name, he could claim ignorance on that.

The decision can be appealed but I am not sure the offender's attorney wants to proceed.
Otis I think we see a lot of things similarly. Or at least from a similar direction. However I dont think I see this the same. I'm sure there is a lot of information off the table here (rightfully so). That said in my county attempted murder is like a 7 year charge. Like shooting someone without killing them. 4th offense OWI is like a 6 month bracelet charge. So every jurisdiction is unique.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

While not really my job, but it is related. The other night (last Thursday night) there was a "riot" at the juvenile detention center here in town. 10 juvies went nutso on the staff there. All 5 staff members were injured, ranging from a broken arm to concussions (4 staff ). The fifth staff member suffered a serious cut to her eye brow caused by a piece of whiteboard that was thrown at her.

A few things make this sort of incident ridiculous. One, these staff members are so behind the eight ball it is insane. They are not really allowed to defend themselves. They have to attempt to use de-escaltion, safe restraints and other non-violent responses. They carry no pepper spray or other deterrents. The State of IL passed a House Bill in January of this year doing away with the use of isolation rooms for juveniles. When I worked detention many years ago, isolation time was used frequently. The minimum amount of time used was 24 hrs with the usual being 36 hrs.

Now these kids can attack staff or another peer and basically get a time out and they are back in population. They can be back in population before a staff member can be checked out at the ER.

What makes it even worse, is that the State mandates the juvies be in population, in a living area, gym or classroom, pretty much all day. Detention centers in IL suffer from a lack of staff. Very few want to do this job anymore. You don't get paid enough to get attacked and not get your shots in. Too many kids, too few staff and this is the type of shit that happens.

Then you don't get judges who want to have the State's Atty file on these kids. The judges think these kids will be handled by their home counties. With no discipline in the detention center, due to state regulations, and judges not wanting to put the hammer down, these kids have all the power. Sad state of affairs.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:24 am While not really my job, but it is related. The other night (last Thursday night) there was a "riot" at the juvenile detention center here in town. 10 juvies went nutso on the staff there. All 5 staff members were injured, ranging from a broken arm to concussions (4 staff ). The fifth staff member suffered a serious cut to her eye brow caused by a piece of whiteboard that was thrown at her.

A few things make this sort of incident ridiculous. One, these staff members are so behind the eight ball it is insane. They are not really allowed to defend themselves. They have to attempt to use de-escaltion, safe restraints and other non-violent responses. They carry no pepper spray or other deterrents. The State of IL passed a House Bill in January of this year doing away with the use of isolation rooms for juveniles. When I worked detention many years ago, isolation time was used frequently. The minimum amount of time used was 24 hrs with the usual being 36 hrs.

Now these kids can attack staff or another peer and basically get a time out and they are back in population. They can be back in population before a staff member can be checked out at the ER.

What makes it even worse, is that the State mandates the juvies be in population, in a living area, gym or classroom, pretty much all day. Detention centers in IL suffer from a lack of staff. Very few want to do this job anymore. You don't get paid enough to get attacked and not get your shots in. Too many kids, too few staff and this is the type of shit that happens.

Then you don't get judges who want to have the State's Atty file on these kids. The judges think these kids will be handled by their home counties. With no discipline in the detention center, due to state regulations, and judges not wanting to put the hammer down, these kids have all the power. Sad state of affairs.
Wow. WTF are we doing?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:24 am While not really my job, but it is related. The other night (last Thursday night) there was a "riot" at the juvenile detention center here in town. 10 juvies went nutso on the staff there. All 5 staff members were injured, ranging from a broken arm to concussions (4 staff ). The fifth staff member suffered a serious cut to her eye brow caused by a piece of whiteboard that was thrown at her.

Corrections is a shitty job in general. I did it for way to long. Just a fucking depressing, shitty, grind. Have you ever gotten in to a fight about a koolaid packet, or jelly packet? It happens.

I couldn't imagine working in juvenile corrections. Now a days you have no recourse. Just gross fuck that job.