Mori has a point. Most of us were born this way; you (kinda) had a choice! :D

Welcome to the asylum!
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:28 pm Mori has a point. Most of us were born this way; you (kinda) had a choice! :D

Welcome to the asylum!
@TJBearUK is a blades fan, he’s used to sporting heartache ;-)
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

TJBearUK
Rookie

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:32 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:28 pm Mori has a point. Most of us were born this way; you (kinda) had a choice! :D

Welcome to the asylum!
No arguments there! Perhaps I'm some kind of sports masochist.

A lot of Bears fans seem to have a "If you don't laugh you'll cry" sort of mentality. I've had many years of practice in that regard from supporting Sheffield United.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

TJBearUK wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:44 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:32 pm

No arguments there! Perhaps I'm some kind of sports masochist.

A lot of Bears fans seem to have a "If you don't laugh you'll cry" sort of mentality. I've had many years of practice in that regard from supporting Sheffield United.
:lol: it’s no fun supporting teams which just win all the time.

The bears are entertaining if nothing else. :D

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

It's always kind of fascinating to me when people have carte blanche to just choose their fandom, as opposed to being assigned it as a child.
TJBearUK
Rookie

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:26 pm It's always kind of fascinating to me when people have carte blanche to just choose their fandom, as opposed to being assigned it as a child.
I hear that. I was assigned Sheffield United pretty much from birth - the stadium is a five minute walk down the road and nobody in the family supported the other team in my home city, thankfully (our rivals are a team called Sheffield Wednesday...think Packers, but worse people, and you have to share a city with them).

I have other friends into NFL and they all seem to have random choices. I know a Ravens fan, a Fins fan and a Saints fan just off the top of my head.
bearfan234
Rookie

I've spent some time reading the recent threads, seems like a great community, thanks for letting me join.

My background: Decades of experience of being connected to both the Chicago Bears and Washington football communities.
(Divorced parents, schooling, work has led me to a lifetime of going back and forth between Illinois and Maryland).

My #1 loyalties do somehow still lie with the Washington team, despite how badly the franchised has scarred me over the years. However, rest assured, I am not a troll.

I've tried some of the Washington Football team message boards in the past, but never seemed to fit in with their fanbase. Much of the blame falls on Daniel Snyder for destroying generations of Washington football fans. Snyder's toxicity had a way of infecting just about everything.

Sorry, Let me get back to focusing on the positive, .. I am grateful to be a NFL football fan again. I am grateful to be settled as a Midwesterner.

I do love the Chicago sports scene, I do have genuine affection/interest for the Chicago Bears. In fact, I was a diehard Bears' fan in my childhood (Superbowl Shuffle was my first memory... McMahon/the Fridge/Walter forever idols... loved Neal Anderson/Tom Waddle... Connie Payton graciously attended our wedding).
Johnny Bollocks
Journeyman

TJBearUK wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:55 am
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:26 pm It's always kind of fascinating to me when people have carte blanche to just choose their fandom, as opposed to being assigned it as a child.
I hear that. I was assigned Sheffield United pretty much from birth - the stadium is a five minute walk down the road and nobody in the family supported the other team in my home city, thankfully (our rivals are a team called Sheffield Wednesday...think Packers, but worse people, and you have to share a city with them).

I have other friends into NFL and they all seem to have random choices. I know a Ravens fan, a Fins fan and a Saints fan just off the top of my head.
Eh up soft lad!

Yep, even with the Blades struggles this year, you did well; Wednesday are shit. PLUS When Saturday Comes is the second best football film ever (after There's Only One Jimmy Grimble).

Welcome!

Johnny
Manchester
(City - from back in the days when we were also shit)

PS Incidentally, if you do have the money and the opportunity to see the Bears at Spurs' ground next season, I recommend it. It's not like going to a footy match. I saw the Bears beat the Bucs at Wembley in 06 and it was a blast, the Bucs fans were brilliant.
German Bear
Practice Squad

Hello guys,

I'm Andy from Germany. I'm 37 years old and unfortunately came to football late.

I've been following the sport for 7 years and have been a Bears fan for about 5 years. Now officially addicted to Bears.

You are often a fan because you come from the city or the surrounding area. As a child, you often decide to join a club because you like the logo, etc.

Since I was already an adult, my decision to join the Bears was very conscious. It was important that it was a club with a lot of history and that I could also identify with the city. The Bears stand for many things that I value very much.

I'm not a "nice weather fan" (I don't know if you know the expression), otherwise I would have ended up with the (fxxk) Packers or Pats like many Germans.

Glad I came across this forum.

Many greetings from Bavaria, Germany
Bears Fan from Würzburg, Germany
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

German Bear wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:52 pm Hello guys,

I'm Andy from Germany. I'm 37 years old and unfortunately came to football late.

I've been following the sport for 7 years and have been a Bears fan for about 5 years. Now officially addicted to Bears.

You are often a fan because you come from the city or the surrounding area. As a child, you often decide to join a club because you like the logo, etc.

Since I was already an adult, my decision to join the Bears was very conscious. It was important that it was a club with a lot of history and that I could also identify with the city. The Bears stand for many things that I value very much.

I'm not a "nice weather fan" (I don't know if you know the expression), otherwise I would have ended up with the (fxxk) Packers or Pats like many Germans.

:welcome: Andy. I’m from the UK and here we call it “a fair weather fan” i.e. you’re only a fan when the sun is shining down but during the miserable stormy times you’re not a fan.

I’m certain there aren’t any fair weather fans supporting the Bears anymore :lol: but I’m very impressed by your reasons for choosing the Bears. Sport is about so much more than winning, it is the history, it is the dignity, the endeavour, the entertainment and the drama.
We can get obsessed with winning, but your story shows us how there is so much more to consider.

Great to have you around Andy :thumbsup:

Shadow
Assistant Coach

German Bear wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:52 pm Hello guys,

Servus Andy and Welcome. A second Bavarian Bears Fan? We may be pushing the limit! Just kidding. I see Wurzburg is your hometown, pretty much the northern most point in Bavaria. I am 40km from Ingolstadt myself. (Oberpfalz) Little town on the Altmühl river. Nice group of guys here and not too much drama. Look forward to seeing your posts.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

TJBearUK wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:10 am Hi, all!

Me and my fiancé are from Sheffield in the UK. Having watched a few Super Bowls together over the years and always threatening to properly take up watching American Football, this season we finally bit the bullet and chose a team.

We've always referred to each other as bears, so there was only one clear choice for us.

We've loved getting into the sport and have tried to watch as many games as we can (time zones permitting). Been a bit of a rollercoaster and we're still learning lots about the game but we've totally got the Bears bug. I'm sat typing this wearing a JF1 jersey 😂

Obviously being a Brit my first love has always been football and my club is Sheffield United. We have our moments but often disappoint which I feel will stand me in good stead for a lifetime of watching the Bears!

I've been an active member of a Sheffield United forum for over ten years so I'm all about the forum life. Looking forward to reading, learning more and chatting with you.

Bear down 🐻
Welcome.
malagabears
Journeyman

Back after another long hiatus, hope to post more often. Shout out to my board brother Bearfacts.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

malagabears wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:49 am Back after another long hiatus, hope to post more often. Shout out to my board brother Bearfacts.
Good to see you back mate :thumbsup:

Heinz D.
MVP

malagabears wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:49 am Back after another long hiatus, hope to post more often. Shout out to my board brother Bearfacts.
Welcome back, bro!!!
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Welcome back! I assume you live in Malaga, Kentucky. Population 970. Probably all Bears fans there.
STLINI
Practice Squad

Hey guys, southern IL fan new to the forum. Live outside of the St. Louis area. I'm a pretty new Bears fan. The Rams moved to STL when I was a teenager so I was a huge fan of theirs most of my life and attended most home games up until they moved. I wasn't about to continue to root for them after moving. So in my anger I never really settled on a team to jump into and decided last year that it was time. I'm kind of centrally located between the Chiefs, Titans, Colts and Bears. Couldn't do the Chiefs because that was too obvious of a bandwagon to jump on. Titans and Colts don't do much for me as I've always been an NFC guy. I've always had some rooting interest for the Bears being an Illinois guy so I figured I'd get in on the ground level while they're building this thing up. Have lots of Bears fan friends and I'm a huge Illini fan, so it's a pretty natural fit. Also as an Illini fan, I'm used to big disappointment, so they've prepared me for Bears fandom. Always been a huge draft geek, so last year was a perfect time for me with all the moves the Bears have made. I miss talking football since the Rams have been gone, so I'm looking forward to it.
UOK
Site Admin

STLINI wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:39 pm Hey guys, southern IL fan new to the forum. Live outside of the St. Louis area. I'm a pretty new Bears fan. The Rams moved to STL when I was a teenager so I was a huge fan of theirs most of my life and attended most home games up until they moved. I wasn't about to continue to root for them after moving. So in my anger I never really settled on a team to jump into and decided last year that it was time. I'm kind of centrally located between the Chiefs, Titans, Colts and Bears. Couldn't do the Chiefs because that was too obvious of a bandwagon to jump on. Titans and Colts don't do much for me as I've always been an NFC guy. I've always had some rooting interest for the Bears being an Illinois guy so I figured I'd get in on the ground level while they're building this thing up. Have lots of Bears fan friends and I'm a huge Illini fan, so it's a pretty natural fit. Also as an Illini fan, I'm used to big disappointment, so they've prepared me for Bears fandom. Always been a huge draft geek, so last year was a perfect time for me with all the moves the Bears have made. I miss talking football since the Rams have been gone, so I'm looking forward to it.
Welcome aboard. Sorry it took so long to get your account activated; we had a surge in spambots.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Welcome aboard!
STLINI wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:39 pm Also as an Illini fan, I'm used to big disappointment, so they've prepared me for Bears fandom.
Perfect, you'll do well here.
:D
:(
:frustrated:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

STLINI wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:39 pm Also as an Illini fan, I'm used to big disappointment, so they've prepared me for Bears fandom.
OK, as long as you know what you're getting into.

Welcome
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

STLINI wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:39 pm Hey guys, southern IL fan new to the forum. Live outside of the St. Louis area. I'm a pretty new Bears fan. The Rams moved to STL when I was a teenager so I was a huge fan of theirs most of my life and attended most home games up until they moved. I wasn't about to continue to root for them after moving. So in my anger I never really settled on a team to jump into and decided last year that it was time. I'm kind of centrally located between the Chiefs, Titans, Colts and Bears. Couldn't do the Chiefs because that was too obvious of a bandwagon to jump on. Titans and Colts don't do much for me as I've always been an NFC guy. I've always had some rooting interest for the Bears being an Illinois guy so I figured I'd get in on the ground level while they're building this thing up. Have lots of Bears fan friends and I'm a huge Illini fan, so it's a pretty natural fit. Also as an Illini fan, I'm used to big disappointment, so they've prepared me for Bears fandom. Always been a huge draft geek, so last year was a perfect time for me with all the moves the Bears have made. I miss talking football since the Rams have been gone, so I'm looking forward to it.
:welcome: Welcome fella :thumbsup:

malagabears
Journeyman

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:30 pm Welcome back! I assume you live in Malaga, Kentucky. Population 970. Probably all Bears fans there.
Nope, Málaga Spain. Great región of Spain and full of retirees like me!! :-D :-D :-D :-D
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

malagabears wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:19 am
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:30 pm Welcome back! I assume you live in Malaga, Kentucky. Population 970. Probably all Bears fans there.
Nope, Málaga Spain. Great región of Spain and full of retirees like me!! :-D :-D :-D :-D
Welcome. I just got back from Spain - Alecante, Altea and Madrid.