Official Free Agent Prediction Thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

EL ROCKSTEADY
Player of the Month

We have seen how Emery works handcuffed with a Lovie. We now have a staff hand picked by him. All indications point to a gradual change of guard. Defense will remain relatively the same with similar terminology and offense will likely get TE and OL upgrades. Saying that, with recent history, there has to be something that we do not know or moves towards a strategy that may surprise some of us.

This prediction is based on no restructured contracts and the Resigning of Urlacher.

We will not be picking up any big named TEs, Though, coming from KC, TE was clearly a priority. I think we will be taking a shot at a second tier TE.

Bennett/Keller/Davis comes to mind. If they are asking too much, we may see Watson/Fasano/Walker.

I think OL we will be sticking to the Draft, possibly picking up one for cheap with potential upside.

A back up QB should be a priority in FA. Especially w/o a 3rd rounder, picking up a QB late in the draft might be the same as not having a back up as we have seen in recent years even with Campbell. Not really sure who, because I am not completely familiar with Trestmen's vision.

So what are your FA predictions? Here is a site with all available FAs.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... st-13?pg=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

EL ROCKSTEADY wrote:So what are your FA predictions?

I predict there will be more than a few free agents getting an obscene amount of money that they do not necessarily deserve, and that a full half of them will be disappointments to the teams overpaying to sign them.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
dadoc
MVP

Boris13c wrote:

I predict there will be more than a few free agents getting an obscene amount of money that they do not necessarily deserve, and that a full half of them will be disappointments to the teams overpaying to sign them.
The Force is strong with you.
wab
Mod

If I had to guess two positions, I'd say OG and OT with Brandon Moore and Phil Loadholt the main targets, because they are cheap-ish.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:If I had to guess two positions, I'd say OG and OT with Brandon Moore and Phil Loadholt the main targets, because they are cheap-ish.
Both, or one or the other?
wab
Mod

Depending on cost, I'd say both. But I haven't heard what Loadholt is looking for...
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

My prediction:

We will successfully sign one mid-priced veteran OG.

We possibly sign a Delanie Walker/M Bennett type TE. (50/50)

We'll re-sign Urlacher.

We'll re-sign Roach.

We'll re-sign Israel.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
wab
Mod

I think Idonije goes to Dallas... They aren't sure if Spencer is going to be able to handle the LE spot full time.
EL ROCKSTEADY
Player of the Month

wab wrote:I think Idonije goes to Dallas... They aren't sure if Spencer is going to be able to handle the LE spot full time.
which would be terrible for someone whom was just franchised...
chet8503
Crafty Veteran

I hope you guys are dead wrong and we spend some big money in free agency for once and not just on one guy like Peppers either .
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Maybe the league will change their mind and raise the cap 15 million and you can get your way chet.

Until that happens, the organization is going to have to be quit tempered in their approach in free agency.

Yes teams can always make room....but they have already started the process of resigning Roach and Urlacher, those two moves alone will put us over the cap.

Even if you work out a long term deal with Melton that is more cap friendly and extended Peanut and Cutler and cut Davis you've freed up what......7 - 8 million? That's not enough to sign even one of the big name FA O-lineman let alone two.
DaBears70
Practice Squad

It's just not in the cards this year for us to be big spenders in free agency without hurting our cap space in 2014/15. I think we will make some cuts and and maybe restructure a couple contracts enough to where we can afford a couple mid tier free agents like a OG,OT or TE or one big name at the OT or TE position.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

DaBears70 wrote: I think we will make some cuts and and maybe restructure a couple contracts enough to where we can afford a couple mid tier free agents like a OG,OT or TE or one big name at the OT or TE position.
That's exactly what I expect.
EL ROCKSTEADY
Player of the Month

DaDitka wrote:
DaBears70 wrote: I think we will make some cuts and and maybe restructure a couple contracts enough to where we can afford a couple mid tier free agents like a OG,OT or TE or one big name at the OT or TE position.
That's exactly what I expect.

if so, it better happen pretty quick. Teams only have until FA really begins to operate over the salary cap.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

EL ROCKSTEADY wrote:
DaDitka wrote: That's exactly what I expect.

if so, it better happen pretty quick. Teams only have until FA really begins to operate over the salary cap.
I think a lot of people all over the league are expecting a ton of cuts/restructures tomorrow. It's like a game of chicken....the players keep waiting/hoping the team will blink.....usually not so much.
EL ROCKSTEADY
Player of the Month

DaDitka wrote:
EL ROCKSTEADY wrote:
I think a lot of people all over the league are expecting a ton of cuts/restructures tomorrow. It's like a game of chicken....the players keep waiting/hoping the team will blink.....usually not so much.
Makes sense... Hopefully Urlacher is on the staying list and transfer some of Pepper's base salary into bonuses.
DaBears70
Practice Squad

I have a feeling that we might get surprise cut like M.Bush or something to give us some cap space because nothing is happening and free agency is right around the corner.
MoFugger
Head Coach

DaBears70 wrote:I have a feeling that we might get surprise cut like M.Bush or something to give us some cap space because nothing is happening and free agency is right around the corner.
Cutting Bush gives us a bit over half a mil in cap space. Webb, however, would give us over twice that.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think Idonije goes to Dallas...
Personally I hope Idonije stays. I like that he has the versatility to play both DE and DT, he contributes as a pass rusher and excels against the run and, from everything I've read about him, he's a really sound guy both one and off the field. He's exactly the sort of veteran presence you need on a team and especially in a unit that, Peppers aside, consists of young guys.

The fact that Gregg Rosenthal lists him as a 'TIER 4: Effective in the right role' player at number 56 in his list of the top 85 free agents gives me hope that we'll be able to re-sign him.

Incidentally, Rosenthal ranks Urlacher in that fourth tier too at number 75. If he's right then it would suggest that Urlacher's not likely to be awash with offers and his best bet would be to re-sign with the Bears. No other Bears free agents make his list.

Also, Rosenthal's take on the TEs available is quite interesting. He lists 5, including Gonzalez in 9th position as a ‘TIER 1: Impact starter’. The other four, who have all been discussed on these boards, all seem to fall into the 'could be a bargain, but there’s risk involved' mould.

In his 'TIER 2: Solid starters' category, at 19 Rosenthal has Dustin Keller about whom he says "there's a chance he gets a whole lot better away from Mark Sanchez, Tony Sparano and the rest of the Jets' offensive morass". In the same tier, at 23 he has Fred Davis stating that he was "one of the league's most promising young tight ends before tearing his Achilles' tendon. He could be a great bargain".

In 'TIER 3: Starters with questions’ section he lists Jared Cook, a favourite amongst a number of posters on these boards, at 38 describing him as “an enigmatic talent who has never quite lived up to his potential as a big-time playmaker”. Another TE often mentioned around here, Martellus Bennett, is listed at 42. Rosenthal says “If you can overlook the flaky off-field persona, Bennett fits the mold as a complete tight end who can block and catch.”

Rosenthal has a lot of CBs in his list, which suggests that the Bears shouldn’t have too much trouble finding some depth and someone to play the nickle now that they’ve parted ways with Moore and with Hayden not certain to be retained.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

For anyone expecting a lot of impact from free agency.....

Who have #Bears best unrestricted free agent signings been over the years? Here is a Top 12 list dating back to '01
The Bears haven’t made many big splashes in the UFA market but certainly the massive contract Julius Peppers received in 2010 is at the top of the list. He has served up three Pro Bowl seasons and sparked the pass rush. Here is a list of the team’s top UFA signings (list does not include Bears re-signing their own players in UFA market like Lance Briggs. Also does not include street free agents/waived free agents like Muhsin Muhammad, Ruben Brown, etc., or a John Tait, who was signed away from the Chiefs after they placed the transition tag on him):

1. Julius Peppers, 2010
2. Thomas Jones, 2004
3. Desmond Clark, 2003
4. Tim Jennings, 2010
5. Roberto Garza, 2005
6. Brad Maynard, 2001
7. Ted Washington, 2001
8. Fred Miller, 2005
9. Anthony Adams, 2007
10. Adam Podlesh, 2011
11. Keith Traylor, 2001
12. Ricky Manning Jr., 2006 about 13 hours ago
So...over the last 12 years two of our biggest/best free agency signings were Punters :)

Now...I understand someone else made those signings and I expect more......just not the earth shattering moves many seem to have their hearts set on.
Bearvengers
Pro Bowler

Boris13c wrote:

/thread

lol jk but yeah this is a guarantee. specifically bears-wise, its hard to say since emery seems to be playing this so close to the chest. i plan on just tuning into 670 right at 3 and seeing what he does right out of the gate. no one expected that marshall trade last season (not that something equally amazing is necessarily going to happen) but i'm willing to bet were going to be surprised about what he ends up doing.

god i hope we at least keep roach, no roach OR urlacher = serious LB problems
"The McCaskey's send their regards"

Follow me on the Tweeterz: @QuetzalcoatLEL
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Anyone want to hazard a guess about who we go with as a backup to Cutler?

nfl.com has a list of the free agent QB candidates, with Jason Campbell coming in at number 3 (in the 'best you can do' category) and Josh McCown at number 16 (in the 'less desirable than Vince Young' category).

After Campbell proved so ineffective, I'd be surprised if we wasted $3.5m on a veteran backup again this year. Cutler's durable and has only missed half a dozen or so games in the four years he's been in Chicago, so I'd be OK with McCown who at least led us to a win in 2011.

Of course, there's always Rex Grossman who Dan Hanzus lists at number 7. He points out "Grossman actually started in a Super Bowl, though we're pretty sure that was a mid-aughts fever dream"!

Or how about JaMarcus Russell (down at number 21)? :lol:
UOK
Site Admin

I have this feeling that the Bears will sign LeVitre AND Jake Long. They'll make a handful of cuts, won't keep Lance Louis, will extend Marshall to open up cap, and ultimately let a lot of people walk. They'll use the draft to add depth at receiver and tight end.

------

...which means that the Bears will sign a tight end, re-sign Louis and many others while trading out of many draft picks.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Brad Biggs reporting that the Bears are hot after mammoth RT Phil Loadholt. Just what we need, another RT that can't pass block.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Jensen confirms Biggs report of Bears interest.

FWIW - if Carimi is healthy, having him at RG next to Loadholt would give us a giant right side of the line, and Loadholt could come cheap enough that we can still afford a G.

Or we draft Fluker/Cooper/Warmack.

Re-sign Louis.

DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Brad Biggs reporting that the Bears are hot after mammoth RT Phil Loadholt. Just what we need, another RT that can't pass block.

I'm not even paying attention to any of these 'reports' anymore.

Breaking:The Chicago Bears are interested in every free agent offensive lineman and tight end.

:roll:
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote: FWIW - if Carimi is healthy, having him at RG next to Loadholt would give us a giant right side of the line
Perfect...that will be great for our 15 rushing attempts a game...what about pass blocking on our 36 - 40 passing attempts a game?
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

DaDitka wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:Brad Biggs reporting that the Bears are hot after mammoth RT Phil Loadholt. Just what we need, another RT that can't pass block.

Breaking:The Chicago Bears are interested in every free agent offensive lineman and tight end.

FWIW - this is the first report I've seen that has been confirmed by just about every Bears Beat writer.

Also FWIW - PFF had Loadholt rated as a much better pass blocker than I would have thought (27th).

DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

FWIW - this is the first report I've seen that has been confirmed by just about every Bears Beat writer.

Also FWIW - PFF had Loadholt rated as a much better pass blocker than I would have thought (27th).

Yeah...I wasn't busting your balls for posting it.....I busting their balls for acting like it's a story. We've now been 'officially' linked to Long, Loadholt, Brown, Cook, Bennett..etc.

I would imagine.....HOPE.....we've spoke to at least 20 different players representatives over the last 24 - 48 hours.

We're 'linked' to everyone and 'interested' in most at the right price.
DaBears70
Practice Squad

I'll take any help we can get on the O-Line but i would rather the help be on the left side instead of the right side but the way i see it is that i believe in A.Cromer so just give him the guys and hope he can make a quality starting 5 and i believe he can.