Media Draft Grades

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Figured we could start one thread for all of the media draft grades.

Evan Sylva - Roto World

Chicago Bears

20. Kyle Long, guard, Oregon.
50. Jon Bostic, inside linebacker, Florida.
117. Khaseem Greene, outside linebacker, Rutgers.
163. Jordan Mills, tackle/guard, Louisiana Tech.
188. Cornelius Washington, defensive end, Georgia.
236. Marquess Wilson, receiver, Washington State.

Overview: I expected GM Phil Emery to stay true to his board on the draft's first day. I'm not sure he did with the Long pick -- it seemed like need-based reach on an inexperienced, boom-or-bust lineman -- but Emery went value searching on days two and three. Bostic is an athletic thumper who'll give D.J. Williams a run for his money at inside 'backer, replacing Brian Urlacher. Greene's pre-draft measurables disappointed, but he is fast to the football and NFL-ready after earning back-to-back Big East Defensive POY awards in Rutgers' pro-style system. Washington is an explosive edge pass rusher with starting-caliber tools. He was robbery toward the back end of the third day. If Wilson's head is on straight, he's capable of earning an immediate spot in Chicago's three-receiver package with Brandon Marshall in the slot and Alshon Jeffery outside.

Grade: B-

Nate Davis - USA Today

Chicago Bears: Not everyone viewed G Kyle Long as a first rounder, but the Bears did and think he might even be able to eventually nail down one of the tackle posts. Regardless, GM Phil Emery improved the protection in front of QB Jay Cutler and replenished the depleted linebacking corps with promising Jon Bostic and Khaseem Greene, who should be starting no later than 2014. Sixth-round DE Cornelius Washington is an exciting project.

GRADE: B+

Vinny Iyler - The Sporting News

Chicago Bears: The Bears did go after needed offensive line help, but ended up with a couple of projects there, including their first-rounder, Oregon's Kyle Long. Long, however, might need to start out inside as he's still growing as a tackle. Their fifth-rounder, Louisiana Tech's Jordan Mills, is closer to being able to aid them at the position. Florida second-rounder Jon Bostic, with his tacking ability and upfield instincts, is a textbook replacement for Brian Urlacher. Likewise, Rutgers' Khaseem Greene has the range and coverage skills to fight to replace Nick Roach on the strong side.

Grade: C

Chris Burke - SI

Chicago Bears
The Bears addressed a couple of needs, but did they get enough done here? OL Kyle Long, as he should as a first-rounder, will help the most. That pick of pass-rushing LB Cornelius Washington in Round 6 might be a steal, too. But why LB Jon Bostic over Arthur Brown? Grade:

B-minus

Walter Football

Please note that the overall grade is not an average of all the individual grades. Other things are taken into account like team needs and goals.

Goals Entering the 2013 NFL Draft: Different year, same strategy: The Bears must build around Jay Cutler. The Martellus Bennett and Matt Slauson signings were nice, but help is still needed at left tackle. A speed receiver and another tight end would really help as well. And of course, Brian Urlacher is gone, so a new middle linebacker will have to be considered.

2013 NFL Draft Accomplishments: Chicago's draft class very much mirrors the Giants'. Like Justin Pugh at 19, Kyle Long was a reach at 20, but again, it wasn't nearly as bad as what the Cowboys would do 11 selections later. And like New York, the Bears would recover and draft solid talents who filled positions of need.

The Bears did a good job of bolstering their linebacking corps. Jon Bostic will be the heir apparent to Brian Urlacher, while Khaseem Greene, a major steal at No. 117, will be an effective player on the outside in the future.

Excluding Greene, my favorite pick of Chicago's was Cornelius Washington at No. 188. Many considered him a mid second-day prospect, so to obtain him in Round 6 as a potential future replacement for Julius Peppers was phenomenal. The next pick, Marquess Wilson (No. 236), provides tons of upside. He quit on his football team at Washington State, but that may not have been entirely his fault. He has the potential to be a solid weapon for Jay Cutler down the road.

Overall, I'm a fan of what Chicago did, save for its first-round choice. As I did with the Giants, I'm rewarding this front office with a solid "B".

2013 NFL Draft Grade: B

Fox Sports.com

Chicago Bears

Engel: (C ) I like the Kyle Long pick. I think Long will be a big help to whatever QB they go get next year.

Marvez: (C-) Oregon guard Long was one of the biggest first-round reaches. Middle linebacker Jon Bostic (second round) wasn’t spectacular at the University of Florida, but the Bears did land one of college football’s best tacklers in Rutgers outside linebacker Khaseem Greene.

Schrager: (B-) Long could end up having a great NFL career, but most of the guys around the league that I’ve spoken to viewed it as a bit of a reach at 20th overall. Bostic could see action right away. I like Greene even more than Bostic.
UOK
Site Admin

Draft grades are bullshit. Anytime I read a draft grade summary, I immediately think of JaMarcus Russell and Charles Rogers. Busts are indicative that nobody knows shit, despite how fun it is to speculate.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:despite how fun it is to speculate.

Isn't that the point?

As for Russell, it's like Mayoc said this weekend, he still had the greatest pro-day he's ever seen. It's just that he loved money, not football.

Personally I always like to see how 'outside' sources feel about our draft. People that aren't so close to the situation that they are either too forgiving or too tough.

I think it's encouraging that Phil did manage mostly B's and a C (or two) in a draft that he entered with only 5 picks and only 2 in the top 100.
UOK
Site Admin

DaDitka wrote:
UOK wrote:despite how fun it is to speculate.

Isn't that the point?

As for Russell, it's like Mayoc said this weekend, he still had the greatest pro-day he's ever seen. It's just that he loved money, not football.

Personally I always like to see how 'outside' sources feel about our draft. People that aren't so close to the situation that they are either too forgiving or too tough.

I think it's encouraging that Phil did manage mostly B's and a C (or two) in a draft that he entered with only 5 picks and only 2 in the top 100.
Absolutely! Draft month/week/days are a boatload of fun and I love doing the whole thing around it.

I just hope that everybody takes them all with a humongous grain of salt.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

UOK wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
Isn't that the point?

Absolutely! Draft month/week/days are a boatload of fun and I love doing the whole thing around it.

I just hope that everybody takes them all with a humongous grain of salt.
I think its a gas and now I'll begin the season with good background on the rooks at camp. Keeping it in perspective makes the Bear fan synergy humorous and entertaining.

Kudos - much appreciated.

:toast:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I think the entire draft has to be taken with a whole shaker full of salt. However, speculating, watching highlight videos, and the anticipation of the pick are near drug-like in their appeal. Then breaking down the draft and arguing about who has promise and who doesn't is why these types of forums exist. Love it.

As DD said, outside media sources are usually overly critical, and don't have a solid perspective on what the Bears are doing. Don't know who Engel is, but I don't think he's a big fan of Jay.
mbrs!
MVP

Thanks for compiling that DaDitka, much appreciated. :)
mbrs!
MVP

Everyone seems to love the Greene and Washington picks, agree that Mills is solid value, and Wilson has great upside potential. Where opinions really differ is on the Long and Bostic pics, which range from either solid picks or big reaches.

Some say Long grades as a 1st rounder, others say he's a 2nd rounder, but coming into the draft, we had 1 very iffy G position that was to be battled out by often injured Carimi and practice squad graduate Brown ... that does not fill you with a lot of confidence. At worst, Long provides competition, and at best, he owns the position. And Emery being Emery, he really hammers at the perceived weakness, taking Mills for even further competition, and needed depth.

Bostic sounds like a scout's pick ... they're basically saying "the media loves Brown, but we know our jobs." Only time will tell if Brown turns into a perenial all-pro, while Bostic turns into a backup, LOL! :D
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

mbrs! wrote:
Some say Long grades as a 1st rounder, others say he's a 2nd rounder

That's because he's got the skill set of a 1st rounder with almost no resume. You're projecting the player to be something much better then he is today. Not everyone is comfortable with making such assumptions in the first round.

So he's got the skill set but not (enough) tape.....everyone is going to adjust his rankings differently for that.

When speaking about this pick yesterday Bill Polian stated ....."these are risky picks, I really hope the kid works out but if you make too many of these picks and miss ....like me......then you'll find yourself out of a job......like me"

He was discussing Phil's first two first round picks as the Bears GM compared to his last 5 first round picks in Indy. (only one remains on the team and three of the five are out of the league).

He went out of his way not to bash the players, he was merely speaking to the 'risk'.

Personally, I find it encouraging that Phil isn't 'playing scared' (even if I don't agree with everything he does).
mbrs!
MVP

DaDitka wrote:
mbrs! wrote:
Some say Long grades as a 1st rounder, others say he's a 2nd rounder

That's because he's got the skill set of a 1st rounder with almost no resume. You're projecting the player to be something much better then he is today. Not everyone is comfortable with making such assumptions in the first round.

So he's got the skill set but not (enough) tape.....everyone is going to adjust his rankings differently for that.

When speaking about this pick yesterday Bill Polian stated ....."these are risky picks, I really hope the kid works out but if you make too many of these picks and miss ....like me......then you'll find yourself out of a job......like me"

He was discussing Phil's first two first round picks as the Bears GM compared to his last 5 first round picks in Indy. (only one remains on the team and three of the five are out of the league).

He went out of his way not to bash the players, he was merely speaking to the 'risk'.

Personally, I find it encouraging that Phil isn't 'playing scared' (even if I don't agree with everything he does).
I really respect Polian's opinion. He's so comfortable with what he's achieved in the NFL that he doesn't feel the need to be defensive, and may even admit some questionable decision making on his own part.
FaithInCutler
MVP

If Wilson's head is on straight, he's capable of earning an immediate spot in Chicago's three-receiver package with Brandon Marshall in the slot and Alshon Jeffery outside.

Interesting...
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler