Josh McCown !

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

My goodness. Poised..alert to the D pressure..some really great throws again.. 34 year old with legs..and better a brain and an arm..
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I thought McCown played really well. This is what I said about the Trestman offense. It wasn't like the Lovie era, where Cutler had to go out and TRY and win the game with his talent. The Trestman playbook lends itself to a QB who can work through his reads and make the right throw, or make the right calls at the line of scrimmage. McCown did that. He is a perfect place holder for Cutler until he gets back.

Here is one other point that I think may have been lost in all the hub-bub. I think this was a great experience for Cutler to stand by Trestman, listen to the calls, and understand why they were calling what they were calling. Great night all the way around.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

He really looked good. He really has always looked good in blue hasn't he? I wish he was 10 years younger. I may have him impregnate my wife for good measure.

seriously though I am very happy about the win. He looked great.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm really proud of the guy... one hell of a job to go in to Lambeau Field, on Monday Night Football, a year ago you were on the streets coaching high school ball. Hell of a job!

Might have made himself some money tonight!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Excellent job by McCown, no doubt. He made some excellent decisions tonight; throwing the ball away when he had to, not forcing throws into tight coverage, and even running it a bit when he needed to make a play.

Impressed but not surprised.
UOK
Site Admin

We, especially me, have been fooled about our skepticism in McCown. This offense fits him like a glove plus, to his credit, he's played a hell of a couple games!
Bad Flanders
MVP

I figured he'd be okay, he was better than that though. I'd have to say he's a perfect backup, I don't know how many games he could pull that off for, he has a couple bad habits the opposition would start to pick on after too long. Mainly those low sidearm-ish throws, they were begging to get knocked up in the air and picked. But I was surprised at the zip he had on a couple of those with that little flick. I sure missed the big arm though!

If you could get Cutty to play that safe just a little more I really think this offense will hit a new level. Play that short passing game like an extension of the run and make that other D get tight and then gash them over the top with the big arm.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

As a Sam Houston State University alum - its good to see the local boy have a little success.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
IE
Hall of Famer

High School Coach is awesome - one of those guys who matures and calms down and becomes better after the age of 30. It is just awesome to see a guy like this having some success (especially for our benefit :) ). I remember him when he was in the league before - and he lacked confidence and had the yips. That is gone. Part of it is Trestman - but part I think is McCown growing up on his own schedule.

It isn't anything against Jay, but I wouldn't mind seeing him sit another game or two until healthy. And I think he can actually learn a thing or two from watching Josh - how to be smarter with the ball. Then when Jay comes in, he actually will avoid a few mistakes, hit some of those longer passes, and the Bears are posting 45 points/week. Josh is no threat to Jay - he's his friend and a mentor in a weird way. Jay likes him, and that is great. Jay was "paying attention" last night - it was great to see.

The Bears need to franchise Jay for the next year or two, as Trestman figures out what he wants to do at QB. Right now, Jay is the best option by far. But at the same time, he is not clearly what Trestman wants as his long-term QB. The skill and being able to make all the throws is one thing - but having to come from behind in half the games, because of INTs ... that's not something Trestman wants to see continue.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

IE wrote:High School Coach is awesome - one of those guys who matures and calms down and becomes better after the age of 30. It is just awesome to see a guy like this having some success (especially for our benefit :) ). I remember him when he was in the league before - and he lacked confidence and had the yips. That is gone. Part of it is Trestman - but part I think is McCown growing up on his own schedule.
I remember all the things you do about him ... so yeah, it is kind of nice seeing him grown beyond that

IE wrote:It isn't anything against Jay, but I wouldn't mind seeing him sit another game or two until healthy. And I think he can actually learn a thing or two from watching Josh - how to be smarter with the ball. Then when Jay comes in, he actually will avoid a few mistakes, hit some of those longer passes, and the Bears are posting 45 points/week. Josh is no threat to Jay - he's his friend and a mentor in a weird way. Jay likes him, and that is great. Jay was "paying attention" last night - it was great to see.
do you think McCown's success is what is making Cutler push to come back? there is no doubt it is Cutler's team, but maybe he is feeling a little internal pressure to get back

IE wrote:The Bears need to franchise Jay for the next year or two, as Trestman figures out what he wants to do at QB. Right now, Jay is the best option by far. But at the same time, he is not clearly what Trestman wants as his long-term QB. The skill and being able to make all the throws is one thing - but having to come from behind in half the games, because of INTs ... that's not something Trestman wants to see continue.
I think whether Cutler stays or goes should be Trestman's call

yes, Cutler's physical skills are very apparent ... but as you pointed out, I don't think Trestman likes the idiot balls Cutler sometimes throws out there

might be an interesting off season for many reasons
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

Interesting question about what is driving Cutler to come back fast. I'd like to think it is a competitive nature. I know it isn't competition with McCown - because they're at different points in their careers & are complementary Vs. adversarial... actually have become good friends, is my understanding.

I guess what is pushing Jay to come back most, is his contract status. He needs to not be hurt, and play well - if he wants a longer term contract Vs. franchise tag. There is a non-personal aspect of that involving McCown ... because even though they aren't competing, McCown's continued success is going to impact Jay's future compensatio.

I think it is looking more & more like Jay is going to be tagged for at least one year - and if he continues to have his up & down games I'll guess Trestman is going to want to trend away from Jay by drafting & developing a young guy behind Jay & McCown for 2 years.
dadoc
MVP

McCown looked great but I think we all agree he is not a future here past this year (at least as a starter/player). I agree with IE that I think Jay is going to get a tag and I disagree that it will be a two year development. I think you will draft someone and tag Jay and let them learn/develop behind him and leave a little up to Jay on his future. Of course I wouldn't rule out making it an open competition between said pick and Jay either.
dadoc
MVP

UOK wrote:We, especially me, have been fooled about our skepticism in McCown. This offense fits him like a glove plus, to his credit, he's played a hell of a couple games!
Agree, I just hate how Gruden said that there was as * by this win because Aaron got hurt. A win on the road especially there is great and I am sure special for him.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

how does he even get this throw off

IE
Hall of Famer

He's a big, strong guy. He trusted his OL, kept his eyes downfield, and knew if he could just get it near B he could catch it.
FranktheTank
Player of the Month

I want to see what McCown can do on Sunday vs the Lions. If Jay isn't 100% he shouldn't play.

Did anyone watch McCown get a lil choked up during one of the post game interviews? I think it was shown on the NFL network.... Anyway, I felt very happy for the guy.

If he plays well and wins against the Lions, we may have a QB controversy.... But not the kind that us Bear fans are used to.
G08
Hall of Famer

That throw was fucking ridiculous. I was running around my condo screaming and cheering.
IE
Hall of Famer

Me too. I couldn't sit down for the entire game after that.

It reminded me of Eli's superbowl pass.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrombone wrote:how does he even get this throw off

that was my second favorite play of the night

call me an evil bastard, but this was my favorite :

George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

FranktheTank wrote:I want to see what McCown can do on Sunday vs the Lions. If Jay isn't 100% he shouldn't play.
If he plays well and wins against the Lions, we may have a QB controversy.... But not the kind that us Bear fans are used to.
I'd like to see McCown start and we only rush Jay back if he struggles. If he was good enough to start, he wouldn't have been out of the league, but he's looking pretty good right now. Let it ride.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
RustyTrombone wrote:how does he even get this throw off

that was my second favorite play of the night

EVIL BASTARD!

How could you be a true Bears fan, and NOT have that be your favorite play of the night. I don't go around wishing ill will on anyone, but the fact that the recently much maligned Shea knocked out Aaron Rodgers was just beautiful.
IE
Hall of Famer

Adam Hoge just mentioned on WSCR that Shea said they studied the way Rodgers escapes pressure, and how he tends to move up in the pocket before then sprinting out to the side. I guess Shea said they were going to be watching for it all day - and in this case it happened early, and "watching for that" helped Shea know where he needed to be. So there was no luck there - that sack was the product of planning & executing, and the results were fortunate for one team & not the other.
Paulo83
Journeyman

Great to see McCown doing so well again. For a guy who has been written off by many as "just the guy who carries the clipboard for Jay", he's shown what a valuable backup he really is.

Some of his play was very impressive, especially in the first half. His pocket awareness and the way he stepped up away from pressure; the way he kept the ball safe and I especially liked the rush he made at the end of the first half. Just a pity he couldn't top off that drive with a touchdown pass. But the way he shrugged off A.J. Hawk, regained his balance and composure and threw an almost inch-perfect to Marshall was breathtaking.

Still early to say for sure, but so far it's been a seamless transition for McCown into this offence and I think that speaks volumes as to what Trestman brings with his play-calling and his understanding of how quarterbacks work.

It's almost sad that he probably won't start against the Lions, but if Jay isn't 100%, then he has earned his right to start again.
G08
Hall of Famer

I mean... how the hell do you (proverbial) not pull for this guy?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... au-victory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I mean... how the hell do you (proverbial) not pull for this guy?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... au-victory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He certainly defers the credit to those around him. He seems to be in a good place, and has a true understanding of his role. I think being out of the league for awhile really gave him perspective. I'm rooting for him 100%. I think Jay, if he's not completely healthy, should sit out the Detroit game. He said as much on the Jay Cutler show today as well. He doesn't want to re-injure himself either.
JarHead
Pro Bowler

Does anyone remember Frank Reich from buffalo? Even though I am a Bears fan, I really enjoyed watching the Bills in the 90's. Jim Kelly, it was his team. He went down a few times and Reich stepped in and was great as a backup. In fact he lead Buffalo to one of the biggest comebacks of all time. - http://www.profootballhof.com/history/d ... eback.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

McCown was great last night, He did his job. It goes to show when all the pieces are together, good things CAN happen. This performance wasnt all on McCown. The system (coaching), good line play, good running, and good overall play by the WRs. All of this makes a QBs job a lot easier. I am not taking a single thing away from hiim, there were at least 3 plays that I stood up and said WOW that were completly on his shoulders. However, This is Cutlers team and he knows it. Reich knew it.

The thing I want to point out is how impressed I was with the play of the O-Line overall. Its been soooo long since we had something like this. Its not perfect, But wow. Basically everyting with this offense is pretty great to see. Crazy how it changed so quickly, really felt it would take a year or two.

As far as who will be starting this Sunday, I feel McCown should play reguardless of how Cutler "feels". He earned himself another start. Do I want him playing any longer then needed? Hells no! Cutler is our QB, But think an extra week to make sure he is ready is fine with me. As some of you pointed out, He can learn a ton by sitting out and watching from the sidelines.
BlackEngineer
MVP

I agree made my eyes water seeing how emotional McCown was after the game, talking about the journey he has taken throughout his life. That raw emotion was something to watch and it couldn't have happened to a nice guy.

I do believe that Cutler should sit out the Lions game because we need him for the long stretch. The Lions are coming off a bye week also. After the Lions game, we have three very winnable games. Baltimore(home), St.Louis(Road), Minnesota(Road). If Cutler can't scramble effectively, or can't move in the pocket without considerable pain, then he needs to sit another game.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I mean... how the hell do you (proverbial) not pull for this guy?

agreed

and then there's this from that story :
According to Bears rookie right tackle Jordan Mills, McCown’s experience and understanding of the offense had a calming effect on the team the entire evening.

“Josh is a 12-year veteran,” Mills said. “He’s been through everything and has experienced all the ups-and-downs and has learned from it. He’s a true leader. Just to see him stay poised and calm in the pocket like that and show no fear towards anyone: that just left me speechless.
that spells leadership to me
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Boris13c wrote: that was my second favorite play of the night

EVIL BASTARD!

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:How could you be a true Bears fan, and NOT have that be your favorite play of the night. I don't go around wishing ill will on anyone, but the fact that the recently much maligned Shea knocked out Aaron Rodgers was just beautiful.
yup

:toast:
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer